We all have defining moments during our teenage years. For me, one I’ll never forget is when I saw Romeo and Juliet
on the big screen. Not the classic, but the re-make with Leo DiCaprio. His golden locks, piercing blue eyes and pretty boy charm stole my heart…so much so that I cried from his overwhelming beauty in the movie. Leo became my dream guy. Over the past couple of decades, however, my infatuation with this leading man cooled. Tabloid reports about some of his antics in his personal life turned me off. Then, last week I saw The Great Gatsby
. Leo was as enchanting as ever, and once again I became hooked. Not only was Leo radiant, the entire movie was infatuating. The glitz and glamour of the roaring ’20s erupted on screen, and the decadent hair, makeup and fashion left me feeling inspired. If you, like me, are in the mood to dig through your grandma’s vintage wardrobe, here are some of our favorite ways to modernize Daisy Buchanan’s iconic style.Drop it Low
The drop waist dress is completely characteristic of the time period. Go casual for daytime with a short frock in a jersey material paired with sandals. Or, jazz it up at night with slinky silk, intricate beading, and stilettos.
River Island Drop Waist Dress, $60
This year’s Met Gala, fashion’s big night out, did not fail to reveal designer styles ranging from classy to even a little bit crazy. Themed “Punk: Chaos to Couture,” A-listers showed off their best interpretation of the style, some exceeding expectations and others missing the mark. One head-turning makeup look we couldn’t ignore was pulled straight from the spring runways
(Donna Karen pictured above right). The usually demure Emily Blunt went bold wearing electric pink eyeshadow. NARS makeup artist Jenn Streicher broke convention and used the line’s Jardin des Plantes satin lip pencil on Emily’s eyes and topped it with Desire powder blush. We appreciate that Emily took a beauty risk, but we’re not so sure it paid off.
Below are our picks for the leading ladies whose beauty looks stole the show along with how to re-create their statement hair and makeup.
Makeup artist Patti Dubroff channeled the statuesque Chrysler building to create a strong and polished yet feminine makeup look for Naomi Watts.
1. Dubroff prepped Naomi’s skin with Chanel Hydra Beauty Serum around the perimeter of her face with a mattifying primer in the center.
2. Next, she used Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua Ultra–Light Skin Perfecting Sunscreen Makeup Broad Spectrum SPF 15 to even the skin and Chanel Liz Lumiere Smoothing and Rejuvenating Eye Contour Concealer around the eye area.
3. On the apples of Naomi’s cheeks, she dusted on Chanel Powder Blush in Pink Explosion for a very feminine flush adding Poudre Signee De Chanel Illuminating Powder to bring definition to her cheekbones.
4. For her eyes, Debroff applied a combination of Chanel Stylo Yeux Waterproff Long Lasting Eyeliner in Gris and Noir Intense to the inner rims and lash line and then blended to soften the look. She topped the pencil with Chanel La LIgne de Chanel Professional Eye-liner duo in Noir Lame. For the final sparkle she mixed Chanel Illusion D’Ombre Long Wear Luminous Eyeshadow in Fantasme and Epatant.
5. To complete the look, Dubroff curled the lashes and added two coats of Le Volume de Chanel Mascara in Noir and coated lips with Chanel Rouge Coco Hydrating Creme Lip Colour in Madamoiselle. Read More
Gywneth Paltrow’s a fan we hear.
From Lea Michelle’s glowy skin to Jessica Alba’s vibrant lips, we’ve got the details behind the best beauty looks of the night.
Lea Michelle’s ‘goddess’ glow:
1. Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation #8 and # 6 ($59.00 each)
2. For cheeks, blend L’Oréal Paris Visible Lift, Blush Pink Lift and Nude Lift, ($12.95)
3. We were drooling over Lea’s skin, which glowed on stage. Her makeup artist Melanie Ingelssis dusted on YSL’s Terre Saharienne Bronzing Powder in Golden Sand ($50.00)
TAGS 2013 Golden Globes, Awards Show, celebrity beauty looks, fishtail braid, golden globes, hair, Jessica Chastain, jessica-alba, Lea Michelle, Lucy Lui, makeup, Rachel Weisz, Star Beauty
The final installment of the holiday gift guide. Check it out below!
Jennifer Behr Blair Waldorf Gift Set ($4000)
Picture 1 of 5
Ok, so we admit this is quite extravagant. Blair Waldorf has worn Behr's designs time and again on Gossip Girl and they've been compiled into this gift set. If you're not down to spend for the whole shebang, you can purchase the headbands separately. (jenniferbehr.com)
Holiday season is a time when we give thanks. But why not keep the appreciation going? That’s what these companies are doing. They donate percentages of their profits throughout the entire year to amazing causes. Since we all love to shop, start with these great products from jewelry to shoes that you can buy any time of year and know your money is going to help someone else as well as you. Happy Thanksgiving!
SAME SKY JEWELRY
: The glass bead jewelry (necklaces, bracelets, etc.) has a big celeb following with fans including Jessica Alba, Goldie Hawn and Halle Berry. The best part is that this a fair-trade company that trains, employs and empowers women in Rwanda.
If you liked Zooey’s lipstick and Claire’s hair on Emmy night, we’ve got all the details so you can get their looks along with some of our other favorite celeb beauty looks seen on the red carpet. We loved that the hair and makeup was pretty, wearable and universally flattering. Here are the how-to instructions and exact product names and shades used to create each of our top celeb styles.
Skin: Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer; Hourglass Illusion Tinted Moisturizer in Ivory; Hourglass Hidden Corrective Concealer in Fair and Pearl Oxygen Mineral Powder in #1
Cheeks: Hourglass Aura Sheer Cheek Stain in Flush and Dior Rosy Glow in 001 petal
Eyes: Hourglass Vol. 6 Eye Palette Beauty is Life Everest; Hourglass Calligraphy Liquid Eye Liner in Ebony; Hourglass Script Precision Liquid Liner; Hourglass Film Noir Lash Lacquer
Lips: Hourglass Opaque Rouge Liquid Lipstick in Ballet
Zooey’s nails were painted a peachy-pink color and had scattered Swarovski crystals. The nail artist painted deco televisions on the thumbs–too cool! Read More
TAGS chanel, Claire Danes, Emmys, Frizz-ease, Hourglass cosmetics, january-jones, Julie Bowen, laura-mercier, Star Beauty, Wella Professionals, Zooey Deschanel
I had the chance to interview Private Practice
star Kate Walsh, who happens to have her own beauty company. Who knew?! There are a gazillion celebrity fragrances out there, but Kate’s is different. She didn’t just slap her name on a juice that a big fragrance house concocted. She came up with the idea for her fragrance Billionaire Boyfriend, created her own company and launched the scent this year. I found out what’s really behind the name as well as her other beauty secrets like how she keeps her skin in check after all of those hours on set.
Better yet, I’m giving two people the chance to win a bottle of Billionaire Boyfriend ($75)
. Keep reading to enter the giveaway. Read More
TAGS Billionaire Boyfriend, chanel, Clarisonic, emu oil, Fragrance, kate somerville, kate-walsh, Le Meurice, makeup artist tips, makeup-tips, nars, pawpaw oil, Star Beauty